Friday, April 20, 2012

Zucchini Cakes

I teach yoga four nights a week.  That means I either have to eat something before I go or wait till I come back home.  If I wait till I come home I'm tired and don't want to spend too much time cooking. This is where this next recipe comes into the picture.  I found this recipe the other day on Pinterest and thought it sounded good.  My favorite part about this dish (aside from the fact that it's really tasty) is that it took less than 30 minutes to make it from start to finish.

You can find the original recipe here

In the fall and winter I made lots of dishes with winter squash.  Now that spring is officially here with summer fast approaching, I'm looking to try out a whole slew of new dishes with summer squash.  I love squash.  It's yummy.  And here's another bonus: it's really good for you too. See what the folks over at Livestrong have to say about it.

ZUCCHINI CAKES



INGREDIENTS:

1 large zucchini, grated
1 large egg
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Salt/pepper to taste
1 tbsp Adobo spices
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated


DIRECTIONS:

1. Remove excess liquid from freshly grated zucchini by placing them between paper towels and squeezing.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
3. Heat a large pan on medium, and spray with Pam. Shape spoonfuls of the zucchini batter into 2-inch (diameter) patties, and drop onto the sizzling pan. Cook each side for about a minute and a half, or until the outside is golden brown.
4. Finish the cakes off in the oven — stick them on a baking pan and broil them for 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve hot, alone or with ranch dressing.

PERSONAL NOTES:

As I mentioned above, this was an easy and quick dish to put together.  I will DEFINITELY make these again.

The directions state to remove excess water from the zucchini but I didn't see a need for that.  There just didn't seem to be any excess water. 

Instead of using Adobo spices I just used an all-purpose season salt. It worked fine. 

Overall this was tasty as-is.  When I make it next time I'll add 2x the amount of zucchini and cut back on the breadcrumbs by at least 1/3 cup.  I think it needs more zucchini in it, less bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment