Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oatmeal Cinnamon Muffins

Yet another experiment with muffins.  I chose this recipe because I'm looking to get rid of a box of Quaker Oats that I've had hanging around.  I only use that stuff to bake with - I prefer to eat steel cut oats (they're SO good!).  Thus when I saw this recipe, I hopped on the opportunity to use more Quaker oats.

This recipe is adapted from this one found on Allrecipes.

OATMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats

  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda


  • DIRECTIONS:

    In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in eggs.

    Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda; stir into oatmeal mixture just until moistened.

    Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.



    PERSONAL NOTES:

    To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge fan of these. They're good when they're right out of the oven, otherwise they get super chewy real fast.  So make these if you're planning to eat/serve them all quick.

    In terms of the recipe itself, I almost never keep buttermilk on hand.  So this is where I make use of the seemingly unending supply of fat free Greek yogurt.  By the way, not all Greek yogurt is created equal.  My two favorite brands are Fage and Chobani. 

    If you like chewy, rustic flavored and textured muffins, then give this one a whirl. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment