Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins

Yes, I've said before I'd be moving away from the simple carbs.  And yes, here I am again baking those evil sweets.  It's official; I can't let go of these things.  I'll just have to learn with having these in moderation.  Life without baked goods is not a life worth living.  Much.  Besides, I really enjoy making these things.  It's too much fun waiting to see how they all come out and imagining what the muffins will taste like. 

So I decided to go for these sour cream coffee cake muffins.  The original recipe can be found here

SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 cup sour cream

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • TOPPING:

  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

  • DIRECTIONS:

    In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined. Pour half the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle half of topping over batter. Add remaining batter and topping. Bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes or until done.

    PERSONAL NOTES:


    For starters, I omitted the pecans and used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  I always believed Greek yogurt would be a sufficient substitute and I was right.  It worked great!

    Next, as you can see by the photos, I made muffins instead of a full sized coffee cake.  I like making muffins because you can freeze the uneaten portions and have them when you want :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment