Friday, March 23, 2012

Cinnamon Streusel Scones

It's funny, now that I'm moving away from the winter squash sweets and dishes, I find myself more and more being drawn towards cinnamon and all other manner of sweet confections.  Then I'm reminded of course, that I've been trying to move away from the sweets and bread-y dishes.  I seriously can't help myself.  I'm not sure I can ever keep far enough away from them.   

Anyhow, I realized I hadn't ever made scones before - never ever.  Thus, my hunt for the perfect (and frankly, easy to make) scone began.  Luckily, I didn't have to hunt all that long.  I found this recipe here and decided it looked yummy enough - and easy - to make. 

The verdict? It was wonderfully yummy and easy to make. This recipe is a keeper :)

CINNAMON STREUSEL SCONES



INGREDIENTS:
scones:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
streusel filling:
  • 2 tablespoons cold butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
topping:
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
DIRECTIONS:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until pea size crumbles. In separate bowl, stir yogurt, egg and vanilla together. Stir into flour mixture. Pour onto a lightly floured surface and knead five or six times. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into about an 8 inch circle. Carefully place one dough circle onto a greased or lined baking sheet.


In a small bowl, combine streusel filling until crumbly. Sprinkle over bottom dough circle. Place remaining dough circle over streusel filling. Pinch edges together gently. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut into 8 wedges.


Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.


Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve warm or at room temperature.

PERSONAL NOTES:

Boy, these were pretty easy. I thought I'd run into some difficulty when it came time to put the two halves together but it actually worked rather nicely.  I used a rolling pin to flatten out the dough, piled on the streusel mixture then laid on the top layer of dough.  I used a pizza cutter to slice down the edges to make a square piece.  Then I cut the wedges from there.  Easy peasy.  I half expected the streusel filling to ooze out during baking, but it never happened.  Must be enough flour in there to keep that from happening.

Just so you know, I didn't have vanilla yogurt so I used fat free Greek yogurt.  It worked out great.  Like it was made to be used for scones.  I added vanilla extract and half of a vanilla bean (scooped out with the vanilla mixed in).

YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Was that just one egg you mix with the vanilla and yogurt? I think you forgot to put 'egg' in the ingredients for the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, the original recipe did not call for an egg so I did not include one. Click on the link above for the original recipe to see.

    ReplyDelete