Monday, March 12, 2012

Swope Bread. Sweet and hearty.

I really have to stop baking bread.  It's too damn good and I can't stop myself from eating (lots of) it.  I'm so drawn to it... check out the latest loaf I made: Swope Bread.  I've been tooling around online and I'm trying to figure out what is Swope Bread.  Any ideas?

All kidding aside, starting this week I am giving up bread.  Not forever, mind you, but just until I can have it without obsessing over it.  I can do it; I've done it before.  It's the getting there part that stinks :(  I have to keep in mind it's just healthier for me.

That said, this bread is wonderfully delicious and easy to make.  No waiting around for the yeast to kick in and rise the dough.  I estimate this bread takes about 10 minutes to prepare and another to bake.  Easy-peasy.
SWOPE BREAD


You can find the original recipe here from allrecipes.com - one of my favorite all-time food sites.  I've made so many things from this site.  YUM!

INGREDIENTS:


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 4 cups whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 2 teaspoons salt

  • 4 teaspoons baking soda

  • 4 cups buttermilk


  • DIRECTIONS:



    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.

    In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture. Beat well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
    Bake in preheated oven for one hour.

    PERSONAL NOTES:
    This recipe makes two loaves so I just halved it to make the one.  After all, it's bad enough I'm eating most of it on my own anyway... Oy.

    Oh, I mixed half spelt flour and half all-purpose flour.  Spelt flour works wonderfully in breads.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment