Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pumpkin Bread. The season isn't quite over yet.

I am trying to hold onto the winter squash season as much as possible.  It's no secret I love all things pumpkin and winter squash.  And since I've been experimenting with spelt flour this week, I decided to combine the two and see what would happen if I made bread.  The whole place smells yummy!
You can find the original recipe here from happycow.net 

PUMPKIN BREAD




INGREDIENTS:
2-1/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
1-1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg equivalent of egg replacer
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup raw nuts, chopped (optional)


(Makes 2 loaves)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, spices, baking powder, and salt.
In a second bowl mix pumpkin puree, sugar, egg replacer, and oil. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix together.
Spoon content into 2 greased and floured bread pans. Top with nuts.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before removing from pan.

PERSONAL NOTES:

I don't like using nuts too much so I just omitted them.  The bread is still really tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment