Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Black Treacle Scones

I wanted to be productive during my midday break.  Being productive can amount to a great many things. Today as usual, that meant trying out a new recipe.  And I didn't go through the vast list (or cookbooks) to find this.  No, I went trolling online for something new.  I don't know why I keep looking for new things when there are already so many dishes I want to try out.

Anyhow, I wanted something new and of course something easy.  Enter Black Treacle Scones into the picture.  Original recipe is courtesy of allrecipes and can be found here

The last time I made scones I made Cinnamon Streusel Scones.  While they tasted fine and cinnamon-y, the consistency just wasn't what I was expecting.  I'm used to traditional scones like the kinds you'd have with an English tea service.  Served with jam and clotted cream.  You know which scones I'm talking about.  When I saw the recipe for Black Treacle Scones I thought they screamed British!

And here they are...

BLACK TREACLE SCONES



INGREDIENTS:


  • 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

  • 4 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 2 tablespoons molasses

  • 1 cup milk





  • DIRECTIONS:

    - Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet. 

    - In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender. Combine milk and molasses in a small bowl; stir into flour mixture until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut out circles with a medium biscuit cutter and place pieces on prepared baking sheet so that they are barely touching.

    - Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. For soft scones, cover with a dry cloth for 10 minutes. For crisp scones, do not cover.



    PERSONAL NOTES:

    I really don't have too much to add to this.  I kept pretty close to the original recipe.  For milk I used skim (as always). 

    Oh wait, what am I saying?  When mixing the wet ingredients with the flour mixture it was super dry.  Like, maybe I didn't need so much flour.  In a pinch I used a small bit of fat free Greek yogurt to add moisture.  That worked - and they came out great!

    These will be amazing with jam and clotted cream or even with just butter.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment