Monday, April 23, 2012

Cinnamon & Sugar Muffins

I really like cinnamon.  Looking back at some of my older posts, many of them are cinnamon something-or-others.  Of all the cinnamon baked goodies I've made, I can't say there's been a bad one in there.  Kinda like pumpkin, cinnamon anything is just a wonderful thing.

Enter these new muffins into the picture: Cinnamon & Sugar Muffins.  Of course I had to give them a go.  The verdict: they're really good!  Definitely a keeper recipe.  One important thing about these muffins that make them a particular favorite is that they're low in calories.  Each muffin is approximately 155 calories.  Not only that, they're DELICIOUS.  And as with muffins or scones in general, these are convenient to take with you and have on the go.  As a yoga teacher, I'm always on the go.  Thus, these guys work great for me.

I adapted the recipe from this one found on Simpledailyrecipes.

CINNAMON & SUGAR MUFFINS



INGREDIENTS:

  • 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, coconut, etc.)

  • 1/2 cup applesauce

  • 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar

  • 2 cups flour

  • 2/3 cups sugar

  • 3 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon salt


  • For the topping
    • 1/2 cup melted butter in one bowl
    • 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon in another bowl


    DIRECTIONS:

    Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease bottoms of 12-muffin cup pan.

    Beat milk, applesauce and vinegar in a medium bowl. Add in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once. Stir just until flour is moistened. Batter will be lumpy; do not over stir.

    Use a large cookie dough scooper to fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes. Immediately remove from pan and carefully roll hot muffin tops in melted butter, then in cinnamon-sugar mixture.

    Store cooled muffins in a container with a loose fitting lid and enjoy them later on in your day.



    PERSONAL NOTES:

    These would be wonderful vegan muffins had I followed the directions as stated.  But you know me, I have to go switching things up.  In place of the non-dairy milk (for which I usually use coconut milk), I used fat free Greek yogurt.  Let's just say that's my all-time favorite go-to ingredient.  It's just so versatile.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment