Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

I'm so glad I discovered frittatas.  I've always been a big fan of quiche but the crust is typically so calorie-laden that I tend to shy away from eating too much of it.  But since I've been making these frittatas, I can have the quiche without the crust.  Plus they're easy to make and not guilt-inducing.  Which makes me an even bigger fan!

The following recipe is based on this one from allrecipes.com

SPINACH & MUSHROOM FRITTATA



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed thoroughly to remove liquid

  • 4 eggs or equivalent egg substitute 

  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 

  • 3/4 cup chopped portobello mushrooms 

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions with some green tops

  • 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings

  • 1 pinch Salt and pepper, to taste

  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese


  • DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well mixed. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and fill with the spinach mixture.
    3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and set. Let cool for 20 minutes, cut in wedges and serve.
    PERSONAL NOTES:

    The Monterey Jack cheese is my addition to the recipe.  And I also used Egg Beaters to lower calories and cholesterol. 

    This is so easy to make there's really no excuse not to go for this when you're looking for a good (and low-cal per slice) meal.

    At 6 servings, each slice is only about 230 calories! Whooh!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment