Monday, February 6, 2012

Game Day Snacks

First of all, WAY TO GO GIANTS!!!

So even though it was just me and my husband watching the Superbowl yesterday, I still wanted to try making some small snacks for us.  I made the following two recipes.  The first I thought looked like fun and the second one I knew would be killer since I'd had it on several occasions before. 

Oh, and I would have had pictures of my culinary creations as usual except that I napped until the game started.  So as the food was ready I didn't want to distract my attention from it to photograph the food.  D'oh!  You'll have to take my word for it - these two dishes looked (and of course tasted) yummy.

TORTILLA PINWHEELS

Based on the original recipe found here

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz sour cream
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
4 oz can diced green chilies, drained
4 oz can chopped black olives, drained
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped green onions
Garlic powder, to taste
Seasoned Salt, to taste
5-10" flour tortillas

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix all filling ingredients together, except tortillas. Divide filling and spread evenly over tortillas; roll up tortillas.

2. Roll each tortilla up in plastic wrap, twisting the ends. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

3. Unwrap; cut into slices. Lay pinwheels flat on glass serving plate.

Makes 50 Pinwheels


GAME DAY DIP

This recipe comes to me courtesy of my cousin Donna.  This is something she always used to make when I would visit her in Boston (too bad about those Patriots).  We would scrape the whole dish completely clean, practically licking it - although we didn't because that's just poor manners. 

It's great to serve when you have guests, but you have to be careful not to eat it all the time or your waistline will complain.  It's not forgiving on the calories!  But for a Superbowl event like yesterday, it's well worth cracking it out.

INGREDIENTS:

1 8oz package of shredded cheddar cheese (or cheddar-Jack blend)
1 15.5oz jar of salsa (I like Tostitos HOT)
1 8oz package of cream cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using either a 9" glass pie plate or 8x8" glass dish, spread the cream cheese evenly on the bottom. 

Pour the salsa on top of the cream cheese.

Empty the package of shredded cheese to cover the salsa.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese bubbles. Be careful - it will be LAVA hot!


PERSONAL NOTES:

I used reduced fat items wherever I could. It still tasted ridiculously rich and decadent.  Perfect for watching the game - or anything for that matter. (And it goes pretty nice with a good glass of red wine :')

No comments:

Post a Comment