Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Muffins

What more can I say about pumpkin?  I simply love the stuff and it's versatility.  You can do so much with it.  I mean, you can have it as dessert, make it as a bread, have it in soup or as a main dish.  So many options.  And although pumpkin is a winter squash I'll be eating it pretty much all year.  Plus, since you all know how much I love muffins as either a breakfast food on the go or as a midday snack, I had to try these out...

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE SWIRL MUFFINS




INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1 egg

  • 3/4 cup egg substitute

  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin 

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

  • 1/4 cup canola oil

  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


  • DIRECTIONS:
    In a mixing bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine egg, egg substitute, pumpkin, applesauce and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

    PERSONAL NOTES:

    The recipe originally states to use chocolate chips.  Something in my mind made me think that melting the chocolate first and making chocolate swirls would be a little more fun, more whimsical.  It tastes absolutely fine.  My only recommendation with making swirls is mix the melted chocolate with about 1/2 cup of the batter first.  Since it's just the melted chocolate, it has a different consistency in the muffin.  As I said, still yummy, just different.  Next time I'll be mixing it with the batter first. 

    Super yummy!

    (Original recipe can be found here from allrecipes.com)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment