Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

When my husband woke up this morning he asked, "What's for breakfast?"  Without skipping a beat I answered, "Cinnamon rolls".  I'd seen this recipe and knew I wanted to try it out.  Since I rarely have a Saturday morning in, I decided this was the best time to give it a whirl.

They took a lot longer than I expected.  By about an hour.  Mixing the dough was quick and mixing the icing was quick.  Aside from the time spent allowing the dough to rise, the longest part was slicing 12 semi-even rolls and placing them in the pan.  Not an easy task, I can promise you that.  I tried using both a knife and dental floss to make the even cuts.  The dental floss would have worked better if the dough underneath didn't keep sticking to the wax paper.  I used the wax paper to prevent any of it sticking in the first place. So that was frustrating.  And as I mentioned, it took far longer than I thought it would. 

But... they came out wonderful in the end.  Here's what they looked like straight out of the oven:

CINNAMON ROLLS


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup milk

  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 1 cup water

  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 2 eggs

  • 6 cups all-purpose flour


  • FILLING:

  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

  • 2 cups dark brown sugar

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened


  • ICING:

  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar

  • 6oz mascarpone cheese, softened

  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 3 tablespoons milk



  • DIRECTIONS:

    1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the butter; stir until melted. Add water and let cool until lukewarm.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, yeast, white sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
    3. Divide dough into two pieces. Roll each piece into a 12x9 inch rectangle. In a bowl, stir together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Spread each piece with half of the butter, half of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough, using a little water to seal the seam.
    4. Cut each roll into 12 slices using a very sharp knife or dental floss. Place rolls onto two 9x13 inch greased baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
    6. To make frosting; combine confectioner's sugar, mascarpone, butter and vanilla. Add milk gradually until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Spread over warm (but not hot) cinnamon rolls.
    Makes 24 rolls.

    PERSONAL NOTES:

    These are absolutely yummy, but they do take a fair amount of time to make.  The original recipe called for 3oz. cream cheese for the icing, but I used twice that amount plus switched it to mascarpone.  So much better.  I also increased the amount of cinnamon to make it a little spicier.  I like my cinnamon rolls to really taste like cinnamon rolls.

    2 comments:

    1. Yum, breakfast doesn't get any better than this. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your rolls up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-54.html

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Lisa, I'm so sorry I missed this comment! Wish I'd seen it earlier :(

      By the way, love your blog :)

      ReplyDelete