Monday, November 7, 2011

Vegetarian Four-Cheese Lasagna

Don't be fooled by the recipe's title.  Yes... it's another pumpkin recipe.  I know for a few of you it's been a source of amusement, but I gotta tell you... for me, it's been a source of yumminess!  I LOVE pumpkin recipes and frankly I'm making a lot of them now because it is the season to do so. 

The newest dish I made was this Vegetarian Four-Cheese Lasagna (original link here). As usual, I made some modifications but it's really delicious and filling enough as a main dish.  As a matter of fact, I left out one of the cheeses.

By the way, this isn't my photo of the dish, although it looked similar.  I forgot to snap a pic before cutting into it...

VEGETARIAN FOUR-CHEESE LASAGNA:

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
5 tomatoes
1 pint ricotta cheese
9 ounces crumbled feta cheese
2/3 cup pesto
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
fresh pasta sheets
1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast in oven until browned and tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grill eggplant on a charcoal grill or fry in a skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Halve tomatoes and place on baking sheet in oven for last 15 minutes of pumpkin time; cook until tender and wrinkly.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture.
  4. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay two pasta sheets over the sauce. Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices over pasta and top with half the ricotta mixture. Cover with two more pasta sheets. Arrange the roasted tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half the ricotta mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining two sheets of pasta. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
  5. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

PERSONAL NOTES:
I actually changed it quite a bit.  Frankly, I think I should have been truer to the recipe.  I left out the tomato sauce and feta cheese completely.  I cut back on the pesto sauce (to 1/2 cup).  Overall, the dish would have been better with these items left in.  I can see how it would round out the flavor more.  The way I made it has a more mellow flavor.  I don't want to say bland because I really loved it - and could taste the grilled eggplants and tomatoes (I did include those).

I used Egg Beaters for the eggs and Barilla no-cook lasagna sheets. 

Oh, I also made it in a 9x9 glass dish instead of the 9x13.  It was deeper that way.

While I did enjoy this recipe, I will probably make it next time with all the ingredients as posted above. 

It came to 6 servings and 330 calories per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment