Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

Yes, we're back to the pumpkin recipes.  Really though, it's only because I have pumpkin puree left over from last week's baking.  When I saw this latest recipe I thought they sounded delish - and they are!

PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS



INGREDIENTS:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
24 pecan halves

Filling:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar

Makes 24 muffins

DIRECTIONS:
For the filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg and sugar until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.               

Divide half of the batter among 24 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Drop filling by teaspoonfuls over batter. Top with remaining batter. Place a pecan on each muffin if desired.               

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

PERSONAL NOTES:
As per usual, I lightened the recipe where I could.  I used Egg Beaters for the eggs, unsweetened applesauce for the oil and I omitted the pecans.  Although, I purposely left out the pecans because I'm not a big fan of them.

The muffins came out great - even without the pecans.  I halved the recipe and came out with 10 muffins (I like them a little bigger).  Each muffin is about 160 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment