Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nutella Sandwich Cookies

I just picked out this recipe from a Cooking Light magazine (Nov 2011).  Ever since Rob and I travelled to Paris several years ago and were introduced to Nutella crepes, I've been addicted to the stuff.  The addiction is so bad that I don't even allow it into the apartment.  Because it'll be gone in a day.
However, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it out and so far the Nutella's lasted.  I've been showing considerable restraint.

The cookies in question are Nutella Sandwich Cookies.  They're tasty.  A little on the dense side, but full of hazlenutty-cocoa goodness.  Although, when it came time to slice the cookies to fill them with the Nutella, they crumbled a little.  Not terrible, as you can see by the photo, but it was challenging to put everything together without completely breaking them apart.
NUTELLA SANDWICH COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

13 oz jar Nutella

2 TBL unsalted butter, room temperature

1 extra-large egg

1 1/4 cups self-rising cake flour

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment. 

Beat together 3/4 cup of the Nutella, the butter and egg.

Slowly add the flour until a wet dough forms.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently, adding more flour if necessary; the dough will be sticky.

Divide the dough into 18 pieces and roll each into a perfect ball, flouring your hands as you go.  Place several inches apart on the baking sheet.

Bake 12 minutes, until firm.  Cool 10 minutes on the sheet.

Using a serrated knife, split each cookie in half horizontally.  Spread each bottom half with 1 tsp Nutella.  Replace the tops, pressing lightly.

Makes 18 cookies, roughly 160 calories each.

PERSONAL NOTES:

I used a small (1 tablespoon-sized) ice cream scooper to handle the dough.  It was so much easier!

Watch the oven as your cookies bake.  The first couple I did burned on the bottom and they were still only in there for 10 minutes.  The second try I kept them in only about 7 minutes - and I dropped the heat down to 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment