Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Broccoli & Cheese Pie


For the past few days I was thinking - almost dreaming - about the spinach quiche I was going to make (once I finished the last of the butternut squash dish I cooked up last week).  As I was preparing to make it this afternoon I happened to come across an old Betty Crocker recipe for "Impossibly Easy Spinach and Feta Pie".  So I decided to morph together both recipes and substitute broccoli for the spinach and cheddar/fat-free mozzarella for the feta.  A tweak here, a tweak there... experimenting is fun.  Especially when it works.

Here's the recipe as I've incorporated it...

Broccoli & Cheese Pie:

INGREDIENTS:
1 package (10 ounces) chopped broccoli
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
1/2 of one onion, chopped (I like Vidalias)
1/2 cup pancake mix (Bisquick works)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 eggs

Makes 6-8 servings.

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.  Mix broccoli, cheese and onions in pie plate.

Stir remaining ingredients until blended.  Pour into pie plate.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

PERSONAL NOTES:
As I mentioned, I used broccoli instead of spinach as the recipe originally called for.  Maybe next time I'll try it with spinach.  I just wanted something a little different this time.

I used fat free mozzarella cheese instead of regular to make it a little lighter.  You can probably use most cheeses too, doesn't have to be mozzarella.  I just went with what I was feeling. 

I used skim milk instead of full fat.  I'm sure the 4% milk would work wonderfully.  I personally never use it.

Finally, since I've been eating a good deal of eggs lately I decided to try Egg Beaters instead of real eggs.  Again, I just wanted to do something different.

I measured the dish out for 6 servings.  Each serving is about 175 calories as I've made it.  If you use full fat ingredients that will change.

By the way, I just had the first piece and it's YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment