Saturday, December 17, 2011

Thimble Cookies

These cookies are some of the first cookies I started baking with Mom at the holidays.  I was probably in junior high when I started making these.  Needless to say, the Thimble Cookies are a holiday staple.  Even though I don't really eat them, I have to make them.  Just a tradition, I guess.

I wish I could find my mom's original Thimble Cookie recipe, but I have no idea what happened to it.  Either way, I found the same one online.  So the Thimble Cookie recipe is adapted from here.

THIMBLE COOKIES


INGREDIENTS:

1 stick butter
1 stick margarine
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 – ½ cups sifted flour
Raspberry jam




DIRECTIONS:

Heat oven to 350°.
Cream butter and margarine. Gradually add the sugar beating until light and fluffy.
Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Add sifted flour and vanilla.
Shape dough into 1 inch diameter balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. With your finger, make an indentation on the top of each cookie. Fill each cookie indentation with jam.
Bake until lightly brown, about 15 minutes.



PERSONAL NOTES:

I will use either butter or margarine, not one of each.  Generally I only use butter.  I have no idea why this recipe calls for both.  It's a real head-scratcher.

And while the recipe calls for raspberry jam - and I have used it quite successfully in the past - I like to switch it up and either use blueberry or black currant jam.  YUM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment