Monday, December 5, 2011

Chocolate Mochachino Cookies

I've been holding on to this recipe for years.  I finally made them this weekend.  They're crispy and mocha-chocolately.  The original name for this recipe is Cappuccino Flats.  I think my title is more flavor-appropriate.


CHOCOLATE MOCHACHINO COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon warm water
1 egg
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons shortening


DIRECTIONS:

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars. Dissolve coffee in water; add to creamed mixture with egg and melted chocolate. Mix well. Combine flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture (dough will be sticky). Shape into two 6-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.


In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Dip each cookie halfway; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper to harden.


PERSONAL NOTES:

I made a couple of adjustments here.  After reading a few reviews of the cookies, I kept seeing comments about how the chocolate flavor overpowered the espresso.  So I did two things: doubled the amount of espresso and reduced the amount of chocolate.  I also chose to use 75% cacao dark chocolate.  It was pricier to buy, but well worth it. From the photo, you can see how I used the chocolate on top; I only drizzled it on so it would compliment, rather than overpower, the mocha flavor of the cookie.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment