Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ricotta Gnocchi with Browned Butter Garlic Sauce

I've been pinning a serious amount of food items on Pinterest. At least once a week I've been trying out a new recipe (or seven).

Today while my hubby was in the city with family visiting the Museum of Natural History, I decided I had time to try out something new.  Hence, today's dish ricotta gnocchi with browned butter garlic sauce.

My take on it quite simply, is it's pretty good.  I feel like I might add something to it next time to spice it up a little, but overall I was pleased with the results.

You can find the original recipe on Collecting Memories.

RICOTTA GNOCCHI WITH BROWNED BUTTER GARLIC SAUCE



INGREDIENTS:

9oz Ricotta
1 egg yol
k 
1/4 to 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp Parmigiano, freshly grated, extra for sprinkling
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, extra for dusting the dough/board


DIRECTIONS:

Add Ricotta cheese, egg yolk, salt and freshly grated Parmigiano into a large bowl. Mix well with a spoon. Add the flour and stir in briefly, just until combined – the dough will still be sticky.

Generously flour a board, take a big tablespoon of the dough and scoop it onto the board. Dust with flour, before rolling it into a finger-thick roll. Cut it into little pillows.

Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and reduce heat until the water bubbles lightly. Add the gnocchi and stir once, so they don’t stick to the bottom – then let cook until they start floating on top. Depending on their size this may take 2 to 4 minutes. Take out with a skimmer.

If you want to brown your gnocchi to make them crispy outside, place them in a non-stick pan (no oil needed) and let them brown nicely on both sides. Don't move them around too much. Once done, arrange them on a plate and drizzle the sauce over.

PERSONAL NOTES:

The gnocchi was super easy to put together. It boiled up fast too.  My only real complaint with the dish is that once the gnocchi were in the pan crisping up, it took a long time.  I mean, longer than the rest of the prep and cook time.  That's a little silly to me.

The only other thing I might want to add is more flavor.  It doesn't have a very distinct taste.  Ricotta is pretty neutral.  I would either bam up this dish with a spice weasel or add another ingredient.  Like maybe another kind of strong flavored cheese - even if to only sprinkle on top.

But as I mentioned above, I'd make this dish again for sure.  It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment