Thursday, February 14, 2013

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze

Happy Valentine's Day!

Instead of going out today, I chose to cook up a nice dinner for my hubby.  Luckily I was free most of the day so I had the time to do this.

Until I have more time to post the entire dinner, I'm going to post a side dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze.

Not too long ago I had lunch with a friend of mine at Red Rooster in Harlem. Needless to say it was outstanding. Chef Marcus Samuelsson truly outdid himself. I was surprised when my lunch arrived and with it was a handful of roasted brussels sprouts.  Despite my 20-year vegetarian/pescatarianism, I was always turned off by brussels sprouts. It reminded me too much of the way my mom cooked them all those years ago.  Sorry Mom, boiled vegetables just don't cut it. I'm so glad I rediscovered most of the veggies I eat today.  Brussels sprouts is now among them.  What a total revelation.

I like roasted vegetables so I thought I'd give it a whirl with these guys.  And by the way, I didn't realize how expensive brussels sprouts were.  A small container cost me $3.99.  Ouch!  Happily, they came out great and both me and my husband enjoyed.

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BALSAMIC GLAZE



INGREDIENTS

Brussels sprouts
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

For the glaze:

16oz Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice each sprout in half. Place them in a medium bowl and drizzle on the olive oil, salt and pepper. Give them a good toss so all sprouts are covered.

Using a greased cookie sheet (I used foil sprayed with Pam), spoon the sprouts onto the cookie sheet and

Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin browning.

For the glaze... Using a medium saucepan, dissolve the sugar completely into the vinegar. Bring to a  boil - stirring constantly - then reduce heat to a simmer for about 25 minutes. Liquid should reduce to about half.  You'll know it's done when a spoon comes out coated.

By the way, the glaze can be used for many different dishes.  Chances are you'll have plenty leftover (I know I did) so you can use it again for meat, fish or other side dishes.

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment